Friday, June 13, 2008

The Eternal Whistler

It is the eternal whistler
Who goes whistling up the sky
And at his heels are the weary dogs
That have come to him to die,
He whistles them over the far off clouds
And up to the Golden Gate
And then he whistles a softer note,
While they sit and they pant and they wait.
Then quickly he whistles a shriller blast
As slowly the gate swings wide
And when nobody's looking, St. Peter winks
Then hustles them all inside.
Author Unknown





The Last Battle
If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.
Author unknown

Pennies From Heaven

I found a penny today,
just laying on the ground.
But it is not just a penny,
this little coin I found.


Found pennies come from heaven,
that's what my Grandpa told me.
He said Dog Angels toss then down,
oh how I loved that story.


He said when a Dog Angel misses you,
they toss a penny down.
Sometimes just to cheer you up,
make a smile out of your frown.


So don't pass by that penny
when you're feeling blue.
It may be a penny from heaven,
that your dog has tossed to you.
Author Unknown

Heaven's Doggy Door
My best friend closed his eyes last night,
As his head lay in my hand.
The doctors said he was in pain,
And it was hard for him to stand.
The thoughts that scurried through my head,
As I cradled him in my arms,
Were of his younger puppy years,
And Oh... his many charms.
Today there was no gentle nudge,
With an intense "I love you" gaze.
Only a heart that's filled with tears,
Remembering our joy-filled days.
But an Angel just appeared to me,
And said, "You should cry no more,
God also loves our canine friends,
He's installed a doggy door!"

© 1995 Jan Cooper.

No comments: